You’ll need a licence from us to run a boarding kennel or cattery. The number of dogs and cats that you can accommodate will be detailed on the licence along with other conditions.

We may authorise an officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises.

Who can apply?

Anyone as long as you haven't been disqualified from: 

  • keeping an animal boarding establishment
  • keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping, or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006
  • dealing in animals, transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006
How to apply

Please complete the relevant application forms:

For boarding cats you'll only need to complete sections 1 and 10.

For boarding dogs please complete the Animal boarding application as well.

There are some things that need to be considered when the application is received. The criteria is that:

  • Animals will be kept in good accommodation with clean and adequate space, and have facilities for exercise
  • Food, drink and bedding materials will be provided with the animals exercised and visited regularly
  • Spread of disease among the animals will be prevented and controlled, with isolation facilities in place
  • Protection will be provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies
  • A Register that has the description of all animals, their arrival and departure dates and the names and addresses of their owners.
Fees and charges

£68.35 on application plus £164.04 on successful application = £232.39 in total

After we receive your application

We’ll process your application as quickly as possible. If you’ve not heard anything back from us within three months of your application, you can assume that your application has been approved.


You can appeal if:

  • you're refused a licence
  • you're a licence holder and unhappy with a condition attached to your licence
  • you're unhappy with the decision of a licence review and the withdrawing of a certificate

If you're planning to appeal, please contact us in the first instance. Appeals to the local magistrates' court can then be made within 21 days of our decision.


If a member of the public has a complaint about your licence, we always advise that they contact you directly, preferably in the form a letter with proof of delivery.

If that hasn’t worked, we advise the person to contact the Citizens Advice Guide, or the UK European Consumer Centre if they’re outside the UK.

Any person objecting to an application for the grant, renewal or transfer of a licence may give written notice of their objection to the council, stating the grounds of the objection, within 28 days of the date of the application. Please email


Get in touch



01925 442517