At the appointment we’ll ask you about your baby:
- Their first name, middle name(s) and surname
- Whether they are a boy or a girl
- When they were born – this will just be the date, unless you’re registering twins or triplets etc, in which case we’ll also need the time when each baby was born
And we’ll ask about you, and the baby’s other parent if you’re both being included on the birth certificate:
- Your name and address
- Your occupation
- Where and when you were born
- If you have any other children
- Any previous names or surnames
- The date of your marriage or civil partnership (if this applies)
It’s really useful if you can bring:
- Your passport(s)
- Your driving licence(s)
- A recent utility bill
- Your marriage or civil partnership certificate, if this applies
But don’t worry if you don’t have these documents available, we can still register your baby without them.
However it can cost you between £75 and £90 if you need to correct or add any information at a later date. So before you come to your appointment, please make sure you know all of the necessary information, and double check all of the information before you sign the register.
If English is not your first language and you’d like someone to help with the registration, you should ask a friend or relative to come with you.