In England, if you’re over the female State Pension age (regardless of your gender), you can apply for a free older person’s bus pass OR a free senior railcard.

If you would like both, you can apply for an older person's bus pass from us and apply to National Rail for a senior railcard. This will cost £30.

    Bus passes are issued free of charge and are valid for five years. When we've received your completed application and supporting information, your pass will be posted to your home address within 14 days.

    Where and when you can travel for free

    Bus pass holders can travel for free on journeys in Warrington, Halton and Cheshire West & Chester during the following times (you can travel into Wales providing your journey starts in the Cheshire West and Chester area):

    • Monday to Friday, after 9.30am until the last bus
    • Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays, anytime

    Travel outside of Warrington, Halton and Cheshire West and Chester is free during the following times:

    • Monday - Friday,  9.30am - 11pm
    • At all times, on a Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays. 

    Full fare applies at all other times. 

    Bus Passes issued by Warrington Borough Council aren't valid for use on trains, trams, underground services, tours/excursions, sightseeing buses or National Express coaches.

    Apply for a bus pass

    If you:

    • live in Warrington
    • are over the female State Pension age

    Along with your application form, you also need to provide:

    • a passport-style photograph of yourself (Your photo must have been taken in the last month)
    • proof of address - such as your driving licence, benefit award/pension letter, or we can check our council tax records (we don’t accept utility bills, bank statements or tenancy agreements)
    • proof of identity - such as your birth certificate, passport or driving licence

    You’ll need to have a photo of each of these, or have them scanned onto your computer, phone or tablet, so that you attach them to your email.

    If you can’t email them, call into Contact Warrington and we can scan your application and documents for you. Photographs can be taken in Contact Warrington for a fee of £4.

    Renew your bus pass

    We'll send you a letter about six weeks before your bus pass expires. This will have a unique renewal code which you will need with your existing bus pass number. If your details are the same, you can renew your free older person's bus pass online.

    If you need to change your details, please email, we can advise you how to renew your pass. If you can’t email, visit the contact us page.

    If your bus pass is damaged or lost

    Email to arrange a replacement. A replacement pass costs £10. If you can’t email, visit the contact us page.

    If you find your lost pass before you receive your new one, we can’t give you a refund. Please return the found pass to us for secure disposal.

    If your bus pass won’t scan

    Please bring it to Contact Warrington so we can take a look. If there's no clear or obvious damage to the card, we'll arrange for a replacement free of charge. If the pass is damaged, a replacement pass costs £10.

    If your bus pass is stolen

    You will need a police crime reference number for a stolen pass. Email a copy of your police crime letter to, or bring it in to Contact Warrington, and we’ll arrange a replacement free of charge. We can’t accept crime reference numbers over the phone.

    If you move out of Warrington

    Send your bus pass back to Contact Warrington, and apply to your new local council for an older person’s bus pass.

    If you move into Warrington

    If you’ve moved into Warrington from somewhere else, send your bus pass back to your old council and apply to us for a new one.

    Find us

    Contact Warrington, 26-30 Horsemarket Street, WA1 1XL

    Opening times

    Monday 8.45am-5pm 
    Tuesday 8.45am-4pm 
    Wednesday 8.45am-5pm 
    Thursday 8.45am-5pm 
    Friday 8.45am-5pm

    Telephone: 01925 443322