Marriages and civil partnerships can take place in buildings (other than register offices) which have been approved by local authorities as suitable venues.

You can't have a ceremony that is religious in nature at these civil venues, neither can your ceremony be conducted or registered by a priest or other religious celebrant.

To arrange a ceremony at an approved venue, you'll need to contact the venue to make provisional arrangements and then contact us to ensure that registration officers will be available to attend your ceremony.

Your marriage or civil partnership can't take place without registrars in attendance. There's an additional fee for the attendance of a registration team at an approved venue which is payable in addition to the fee charged by the venue itself.

Book a registrar to attend your ceremony at an approved premise.

As of 2nd December 2019, couples in an opposite sex relationship will be able to form a civil partnership, just as same sex couples can do now. For more information please visit