What you need to tell us
To complain you’ll need to include:
- your name, address and contact details
- your neighbour’s address (where the hedge is growing)
- evidence that you’ve spoken to your neighbour and tried to resolve the problem informally first
- the correct fee
- a full explanation of how the hedge affects you
- a photo of the hedge
- a plan showing where the hedge is and the surrounding properties
- any extra documents or professional reports that you’ve had done
- details of any formal complaints you’ve already made about the hedge
How to draw your plan
Make sure that your plan:
- shows the surrounding roads, and their names
- shows all of the surrounding buildings and properties, with house numbers/names
- clearly marks exactly where the hedge is and how long it is
- shows any measurements in metres
And if you’re complaining that the hedge blocks your light, make sure your plan:
- marks which way is north
- shows the windows which are affected by the hedge
- includes any relevant measurements, for example the size of your garden and how far it is between the hedge and your windows
Send us your form
You can email everything to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also send your documentation to Environmental Protection, Warrington Borough Council, New Town House, Buttermarket Street Warrington, WA1 2NH.
Pay the fee
A high hedge complaint costs £500, you must pay in advance before we can investigate. We can’t refund this fee.
You can pay by cheque to Warrington Borough Council, or by card over the phone: 01925 443322.
Complaining on behalf of someone else
You can have someone complain on your behalf, such as a family member or friend, or you can use a professional adviser. This person will be our main contact, but they’ll still need to tell us your name and contact details - you can’t complain anonymously.
If you don’t know who owns the land or property