If you’d like to keep any animal considered to be wild under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act of 1976 you’ll need to be licensed by us.

  • If you’re considering keeping a hybrid of a dangerous wild animal with domestic cats and dogs, please contact Environmental Health for further information.
  • If you wish to keep any animal listed in the Schedule to the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976, you must obtain a Dangerous Wild Animals Licence from the council.

The Act does not apply to any dangerous wild animals kept in:

  • a zoo
  • a circus
  • premises licensed as a pet shop
  • a registered scientific establishment
How to apply

To apply you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • own and possess, or propose to own and possess, all of the animals that are to be included on the licence
  • not have been disqualified under the Dangerous Wild Animal Act 1976 from keeping any dangerous wild animal

You must complete and submit an application form with the relevant fee (information on how to pay below)

You can return your completed form to cexlicensing@warrington.gov.uk

Fees and charges

The licence fee is £106.92.

You can pay by card by calling Environmental Health on 01925 442599.

Alternatively, you can post a cheque along with your application. You can make it payable to Warrington Borough Council and send to:

Economic Regeneration, Growth & Environment

Public Protection Section

New Town House

Buttermarket Street



After we receive your application

You can appeal if:

  • you've been refused a licence
  • you're a licence holder and are unhappy with a condition attached to your licence

If you're planning to appeal, please contact us in the first instance. Appeals to the local magistrates' court can then be made within 21 days of our decision.


If a member of the public has a complaint about your licence, we always advise for that person to contact you directly, preferably in the form a letter with proof of delivery.

If that hasn’t worked, we advise the person to contact the Citizens Advice Guide, or the UK European Consumer Centre if they’re outside the UK.

Any person objecting to an application for the grant, renewal or transfer of a licence may give written notice of their objection to the council, stating the grounds of the objection, within 28 days of the date of the application. Please email licensingcomplaints@warrington.gov.uk