To run a ‘doggy day care’ business for day-boarding dogs you’ll require a licence from us. The number of dogs that you can accommodate will be detailed on the licence along with other conditions.

We’ll authorise a Veterinary Surgeon or Practitioner to inspect licensed premises on the initial application, with the fee for this visit payable by you. A veterinary visit shouldn’t be required at renewal inspections.

Who can apply?

To apply you must not be disqualified from:

  • keeping an animal boarding establishment
  • keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping, or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006
  • dealing in animals, transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006
How to apply

The following criteria will be considered when the application is being evaluated:

  • Dogs should be kept in good accommodation with clean and adequate space, and have facilities for exercise
  • Food, drink and bedding materials will be provided
  • The spread of disease among the animals will be prevented and controlled, with isolation facilities in place
  • Protection will be provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies
  • Register that has the description of all the animals, their arrival and departure dates and the names and addresses of their owners

Return the completed form to

Fees and charges

On application:

  • £68.35

On successful application:

  • £191.38


  • £259.73
After we receive your application

We will process your application as quickly as possible. If you have not heard anything back from us within three months of your application, you can assume that your application has been approved.


You can appeal if:

  • you're refused a licence
  • you're a licence holder and unhappy with a condition attached to your licence
  • you're unhappy with the decision of a licence review and the withdrawing of a certificate

If you're planning to appeal, please contact us in the first instance. Appeals to the local magistrates' court can then be made within 21 days of our decision.


If a member of the public has a complaint about your licence, we always advise that they contact you directly, preferably in the form a letter with proof of delivery.

If that has not worked, we advise the person to contact the Citizens Advice Guide, or the UK European Consumer Centre if they’re outside the UK.

Any person objecting to an application for the grant, renewal or transfer of a licence may give written notice of their objection to the council, stating the grounds of the objection, within 28 days of the date of the application. Please email