More than five million people are at risk from flooding in the UK. Flooding can be caused by overflowing rivers or streams, heavy rain, blocked drains or technical failures such as damage to a water main.
You are responsible for protecting your own property in the event of flooding. If you are a tenant it will be your landlord's responsibility. We don't have a legal obligation to store and provide sandbags unless flooding is from a road or council land.
What you can do
- Check your flood risk and sign up for free flood warnings via the Environment Agency Flood Information Services
- Make a flood plan to make sure you, your family and your home will be protected if the worst happens
- Keep a list of important numbers with you – emergency services, utilities, insurance company
- Familiarise yourself with the isolation points for water, gas and electricity for your property
- If you feel you are at risk of flooding, put important documents and belongings in a safer place
- Contact Floodline on 0845 988 1188 for advice on the risk of your area flooding
a riverside property owner.