Appleton appeared in the Domesday survey as 'Epeltune' and means 'the tun where the apples grew.'
The Appleton Cross near Pepper Street, reminds us of a Warrington friar, in 1365, Richard de Apulton who was ordained as the sub-deacon at Colwich.
Bawming the Thorn
Appleton Thorn hosts the 'Bawming the Thorn' each June. The ceremony dates from the nineteenth century, when it was part of the village’s 'walking day'. It involved children walking through the village and holding sports and games at the school. This now takes place at the village hall. The ceremony stopped in the 1930s, but was later revived by the then headmaster, Mr Bob Jones in 1967. Bawming the Thorn occurs on the Saturday nearest to midsummer's day, and local schoolchildren dance around the tree.
This is mentioned in 1739 as 'Stoken' in Moll's map of Cheshire and derives from two Old English elements: 'stoc'/'stocc' and 'tun' (the name 'Stockton' is very old). The most likely meaning of its name, 'Stoc-tun', means 'a tun belonging to a cattle or dairy farm'.
The name Stretton is derived from the fact that a Roman road passed through Stretton to Wilderspool and it means the tun on the 'stret' or the road. Like Appleton, Stretton also had a thorn tree and underneath it there were the village stocks. Stretton's church was built on the site of an old chapel of ease in 1827 and was restored in 1870.
Stretton Hall was the home to the Starkey family from Henry IIs reign until the 18th century. The building is of Elizabethan structure and was described in an auction at 1884 as "an excellent country residence for a gentleman however good his position".
There are three different meanings for the name of ‘Walton’, these being a ‘tun where Britons live’, a ‘tun by a wall’ and a ‘tun in a wood’.
Gilbert Greenall lived in Walton Hall from 1836 until his death in 1894. His son then lived there until his death in 1938, he was made the first Baron of Daresbury in 1927. After his death, the hall was sold to Warrington Corporation in 1941. The hall is now used as a venue for conferences, and the extensive grounds hosts gardens, a children's zoo, and children's play areas. Next to the hall is the municipal golf course with its impressive views.
One of Warrington's most important Georgian buildings, after the town hall, is Baronet Farm built in 1740. The farm has been virtually unaltered since the time it was built.