The decision to postpone the annual cultural event – which had been scheduled to take place at Queen’s Gardens in the town centre on July 5 - has been made to protect the public, in-line with government restrictions.
It follows discussions between Warrington Borough Council and organisers Warrington Ethnic Communities Association (WECA).
The council’s cabinet member for leisure and community, Cllr Tony Higgins, said: “Warrington Mela is one of our biggest community events and we are, of course, disappointed to be postponing it. However, we know this decision is the right one.
“We look forward to a time when large events like Mela, which bring communities together, are once again safe - but during this crisis, it’s vital we do everything we can to protect the health and safety of the public.”
Mo Hussain, secretary of WECA, said: “It is with great sadness that we will have to postpone the Mela 2020 - which was scheduled for 5 July - until further notice, due to COVID 19.
“We are committed to the wellbeing of our supporters, volunteers and staff and we will continue to monitor the situation in regards to the new date.
“WECA sends love and strength to all our communities at this difficult time.”
Hasan Kazi, Chairman of WECA, added: “For us, the national emergency is a priority, so we have decided to postpone our Mela event for 2020.
“We sincerely hope that we all come out of this situation soon.”
Further information about a rescheduled date for Warrington Mela will be made in the future.
For the latest information on coronavirus in Warrington, please visit warrington.gov.uk/coronavirus