If someone is in detention and their home is unoccupied, it is exempt from council tax. If someone who usually lives with you is in detention but you still live in the property, you may get a discount on your council tax.

If you, or someone in your household, is in detention you may be able to claim a discount or exemption on your council tax. ‘Detention’ means:

  • in prison
  • in a hospital or any other place, under a court order
  • held under the Immigration Act 
  • held under the Mental Health Act
  • imprisoned, detained or in custody under the Armed Forces Act
  • on temporary release from a prison

You can't claim a discount or exemption if:  

  • the detention is only for a short period of time
  • the person is in police custody before his/her first court appearance
  • the person is in prison for non-payment of fines or non-payment of council tax

Apply for an exemption for someone who is in prison

Please complete this form and return to:

Benefits & Exchequer Services, PO Box 5, New Town House, Buttermarket Street, Warrington WA1 2NH.

If you have any difficulties in completing this form, or have any questions, contact us on 01925 443210 phone lines are open from 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday, charged at local rate. You can also visit Contact Warrington from: 8.45am to 5pm Monday to Friday