We work with other agencies including the police and local health services to protect the most vulnerable.

If you are concerned that a child, young person, or a vulnerable adult, is at risk of or experiencing abuse or neglect, or you yourself are a victim of abuse, you should report it straight away so that the appropriate services can take the appropriate actions to prevent harm.

  • report any safeguarding concerns about a child or young person to children's safeguarding and social work teams on 01925 443322
  • outside of office hours call us on 01925 444400
  • if you believe a crime has been committed contact the police on 101

If you believe someone is at immediate risk of harm, call 999

We all have a responsibility to be alert to possible concerns, and act to safeguard others in our families and communities, who may be less able to protect themselves.


If you're a teacher, doctor, nurse, youth worker, etc, please use the multi-agency request for services (MARS) form to refer a child or young person who you think may be vulnerable or at risk. 

Please send your completed form to us from a secure email address e.g. GCSx, nhs.net, pnn.police or cjsm.

Spotting signs of abuse in children

We are supporting the Department for Education's campaign to encourage members of the public to report child abuse to get help to children more quickly, and to make it normal practice to report it.  

To spot the signs of child abuse or neglect, below are some examples to look for. These include changes in:


Frequent unexplained injuries, consistently poor hygiene, matted hair, unexplained gifts, or parents regularly collecting children from school when drunk or under the influence of drugs.


Demanding or aggressive behaviour, frequent lateness or absence from school, avoiding their own family, misusing drugs or alcohol, or being constantly tired.


Sexual or aggressive language, self-harming, becoming secretive and reluctant to share information, or being overly obedient.

If a person is in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the police.

Services that can help


Call 0808 800 5000 (free 24 hour service), if you have concerns or are worried about a child. You can also visit their website at nspcc.org.uk.


Call 0800 1111 (free 24 hour service), if you are under 19 and are experiencing feelings of stress, anxiety, or if you are lonely or down and need someone to talk to. You can visit their website at childline.org.uk.